6.17.2016

chalk painted cabinets



Chalk painted cabinets, really?? Does it work?? Well after much debate and research (that is consulting Pinterest-the only true DIY how to website) I decided to go for it! Why not, right? I have painted everything I can possibly think of with chalk paint even fabric, so why not my kitchen cabinets. The results are …… 
AMAZING…. Yes, I would recommend to anyone that likes any kind of distressed furniture to try it on your kitchen cabinets. My favorite color is the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey. www.anniesloan.com 


 

Here's how I did it: 
( Please not that I have only painted one side of my kitchen-I'm still working on the entire kitchen-it takes time ladies….)


1. PREP, PREP, PREP!! I can't say this enough. You must take the time to prep each piece or you will be back tracking and touching up as you go. I know because I didn't prep the first couple cabinet doors correctly and the paint doesn't look as good.- I did a lot of touch ups! 

 *Remove section of doors you are working on-just a few at a time. *Scrub with a household cleaner first then use TSP ( a stronger cleaner-use gloves) to really get the gunk and grime off of each piece. You'll be surprised what you might find stuck on your doors.* Wipe down with a clean wet rag and let dry for a few minutes.* Clean both sides because you will be flipping the doors to paint.


2. Since I live in South Georgia and it's hotter than a "cat on a hot tin roof", you must paint somewhere cool. Chalk paint will curl and roll off if it gets too hot. I chose to paint on our sunporch that has AC and ceiling fans (that helps the drying time). Room temperature and cooler but not cold works great for chalk paint.


3. I covered each piece with a heavy first coat and went back over the outer inside panel with a second coat just to give it a more solid look. It really depends on how distressed you want it. After it dried, I took a fine grit sand paper (small piece) and ran along the edges-never sand on a flat surface. You want to distress in areas where natural distressing usually occurs, along the edges and corners. Again do it a lot or little depending on what you want. 

* Be careful when painting oak because the grain will want to bleed through. That's why I used a heavy first coat and touched up any spots that were "too grainy" for me.

* If oils or spills bleed through-use a white primer (like Kilz) to paint over those spots. Let it dry thoroughly and then chalk paint over it.

4. Once you've distressed it, wipe the entire piece off with a wet rag removing any leftover debris. Now you are ready to clear coat it. I use Minwax Polycrylic www.minwax.com clear coat in a clear satin finish-it's not too shiny but not dull either. You will need to do at least two coats of this. I do not wax after chalk painting because its time consuming and a ton of work (lots of elbow grease) and a lot of drying time-like days!! I have found this polycrylic works great-it goes on crystal clear with no yellowing and dries within minutes.  It gives it a nice clean, smooth finish.  In this picture, I'm not sure what made this crackle but I love it. Even after heavy scrubbing, there was still something on the door that caused the finish to crackle. I love it though!

HERE ARE SOME BEFORE PICTURES OF THE LOVELY orange KITCHEN!!




I love to paint and what I found great about chalk painting the cabinets is that it covers so well and not a lot of steps. After reading many blogs about painting cabinets conventionally, it was quite disheartening  to read about the thousands of steps it would take to get that manufactured painted cabinet look. Literally it was so many steps….

I'm a quick result kind of girl and that's why I chose chalk paint.



Now, the floors need some love. I hope the hubby let's me rip it up and replace with hardwood. Until then.. Happy Painting!!