2.02.2015

HOW TO MAKE A LETTER WALL



I have a slight obsession with letters. Maybe because I see them everywhere and it's super popular. After painting our upstairs, I have hesitated as to what to display on the freshly painted palette. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I had been buying letters for a long time and they were stuffed in my decorating closet waiting for a home……. Come on in and I'll show you how to create a Letter Wall!



1. LETTER: You will need to choose what letter you want for your wall first. I chose the letter "B" because that's our last name. Some people have decorated walls with their favorite numbers or symbols. As you shop pick up your letter-I bought mine over many months and shopping half price sales. I even made one-we'll get to that in a minute.


2. CHOOSE A WALL. You want a place that will be all it's own so the collection will really pop. Any time you display a collection you should find a wall that's free of other things like framed stuff, etc. You don't want it to be too cluttered on a busy wall.

3. PLAN: I laid my letters out on the floor first to get some kind of arrangement in my head before putting thousands of nail holes in the wall. (no extra holes this time, Hubby)


4. HANGING: Some of my letters had the two nail hole fasteners which are NOT my favorite! Here's a little trick-use painter's tape and mark the notches then stick the tape to the wall and hammer in the nails. Level every time!!


6. ARRANGEMENT: Arrange the letters by starting with the biggest one in the middle and working your way out. The beauty of this wall is that things don't have to line up perfectly. The more random the better-and no exact measuring needed! Yay!

This wall still has lots of room for more letters. I will continue my quest to collect more "B's"…..


7. CREATE: The hubby cut out this letter for me from scrap wood. I took a broken blue willow plate ( that I broke by accident not on purpose for this project) and several pottery pieces we have found walking on an old plantation. I used E600 glue which works better than hot glue-no stringy mess or burnt fingers, fit pieces together like a puzzle and let it dry over night. Then you will have an original piece of art that no one will have in their collection.

This is super simple decorating! It's fun and an adventure looking for the letters. Happy shopping!

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"