2.20.2015

DECORATING WITH FREEBIES




I love to decorate……… but I especially like decorating with free stuff!! It's like an adrenaline rush for me. The hubby and I are always junking and on the lookout for something free… And, well we don't mind looking in the trash dumpsters or grabbing something that's left by the side of the road.  Join me today where I will share some secrets to decorating with freebies.





Everyone has flowers and plants growing outside of their home. Take advantage of those natural freebies and display them in your home. Get rid of that "Fake" stuff and bring in some real nature!



We found the rusted metal shelf at a yard sale ($3) almost free so why not turn it into a beautiful piece of art. Above the BEACH sign is a broken palm frond that I found in the woods… looks like an arrow to me.



How about pallet wood from the trash turned into a planter. We love free lumber!!


This great find was sitting by the dumpster and was screaming for some attention. We turned it into a headboard for a neighbor.



Pine cones are the best freebie decorations ever!! They just lay all around on the ground and come in all shapes and sizes. And so many uses for them too- cinnamon ones at the holidays, spray painted for ornaments, crafts for kids and fall decor in a bowl.


We found this beauty by the side of the road in Savannah. It was a mess but we stopped and shoved it in the back of my CRV. We brought it home and I painted it with a refinished top. Don't be afraid to grab something by the road or dumpster. It's going to the big trash pile so why not "recycle" it!!


Another great freebie are books and magazines.. so many possibilities. I used an old choir book to create this musical banner for my daughter's room.


Sometimes you can get a deal at a yard sale if you wait until closing time (usually around noon). People don't want to pack up what's left and take it to the thrift store or even store it again in their homes. They want their junk gone ASAP. Many times you can ask to take some things off their hands and they will just gladly give it to you. Books especially are a hassle so you can get a free box of books. They make great displays and add lots of color to a space. You can even turn them around to the paper side for a more neutral pallet.

My favorite freebies are things from nature. Fresh greenery, sticks, rocks, shells, logs, driftwood, and even wild flowers. 

Be creative when it comes to decorating with freebies. If you aren't sure what to do with the freebies you find, check out Pinterest for clever ideas. I hope this post as helped you think outside of the box!



SIMPLE HOME DECORATING
"freestyle"