12.01.2014

SIMPLE CHRISTMAS DECORATING FOR THE EXTERIOR OF YOUR HOME

 

Christmas decorating can be fun or very stressful. I choose to enjoy the festive holiday and try not to get all stressed out about decorating. We started with the exterior of our home this year. If the outside of your home is inviting, the inside will welcome guests even more.  Today, I'm sharing some simple decorating tips for the exterior of your home-low cost-low stress and simple! 



Our home is a little cottage nestled in a wooded community among beautiful pines and live oaks. I use simple cottage style decor in order to pull in the nature that surrounds us. Our wreaths are simple green wreaths with berries and pine cones. I used wreaths I already had and re-decorated them. I collected pine cones from the woods and purchased cheap red berries from the Dollar Tree to add a hint of color.

We added  three strings of icicle lights that we bought on clearance after Christmas last year for $1 per box. I don't like to work the hubby too hard so I asked him to just put the lights around the top of the porch. 


I purchased three Leland Cypress trees from our local Lowe's store and put them in vintage tins and galvanized buckets. We will reuse these trees after the holidays and plant them in our yard. Three trees and two buckets for $50 and two uses-not a bad deal! 


I have to admit I cannot make pretty bows. Oh, I've tried and it always turns out to be a disaster. I didn't want the traditional bows by the front door so I bought a .97 roll of red burlap at Wal-Mart and tied it around our front porch lights connecting them with a little craft I did. I used cross stitch wooden hoops and a red plaid dress I bought at the thrift store. I cut the dress up and used the material to make these fabric hoops. Just stretch the fabric over the hoop and tighten-trim edges. Simple and cheap. The hoops were $1.29 at Hobby Lobby. The dress (and lots of material) cost me $4 at Goodwill.


I absolutely love my double rocker that the hubby and my girls gave me years ago for Mother's day. So I put out a Christmas pillow I bought this season. I always buy something new each season and add it to my collection of Christmas decor. This pillow was a steal at Hobby Lobby for $20-it's a large felt stitched pillow. It gives the porch a pop of color.



Using a wreath from last year-I added the wooden deer head to the center. This was an addition to my Christmas decor only costing me $6 at TJ Maxx. I love the simple style and the natural elements on my porch. It was simple to pull together and no assembly required-the best kind of decorating!

SIMPLE TIPS:
Create a plan for your porch.
Purchase what you need.
Keep it simple.
Use natural elements to brighten your porch.
Use just a few lights as to not overwhelm your decor.
Add splashes of color either in a wreath or with a pillow.
Shop your home for baskets or buckets you can use.
Shop the Dollar store for extra fun things to complete your porch decor.
Make the exterior of your porch an extension of your personality.

Glad you could stop by for some simple tips for decorating your porch. Remember, the season is not about spending all weekend decorating your porch but spending just a little time decorating so you can spend more time with your family. Keep it simple and fun. 

Be merry and joyful this season. I hope you will stop by later this week for our Christmas Home Tour right here in the Bass Home. I welcome you to come and sit with me on my porch, share some hot cocoa and chomp on some homemade cookies.

Simple Home Living "Southern Style"