10.28.2014

TABLE MAKEOVER MADE SIMPLE



Today, I'm sharing a table makeover made simple! Traditionally I would have stripped this piece of furniture with a liquid stripping compound and scrapped the paint off-it's a tedious process but it gets the job done thoroughly. I want to share another way to get that paint off!  Come and join me in the workshop…


I bought this fun little heat a gun and was waiting to try something new with it. I have used it to peel up paint on furniture to give it the chippy look but why not try to peel the paint completely off, right?

I used it on a low setting (it gets super HOT) and held it in one small place-not too close to the piece because it will burn the wood. I gently moved the heat gun around the area in circular motions until the paint became tacky to touch. I then used a paint scrapper to peel a layer right off. When using a paint scrapper be careful NOT to dig it into the wood causing indentions. It's a gentle peeling and scrapping process. I used this heat gun technique on the entire top of the table. 

After I scrapped the peeled paint from the top, I went back over it with a hand sander. This got rid of any left over paint and smoothed the surface. As for the legs and sides, I sanded them and did not use the heat gun. I decided I was going to paint the base anyway, so I didn't need to strip the paint off. I did sand it because I didn't want the black paint showing through when I distressed the piece.


I like to try lots of products to find the ones that work best for me. As you can see, I used a lot of different products to complete this project. I love Annie Sloan chalk paint http://www.anniesloan.com because of it's light sheen and it seals up very well. I use CeCe Caldwell's http://www.cececaldwells.com aging wax (dark) and the endurance finish. With paste wax-you really have to try out different ones to see what you like. CeCe's and Annie's wax have low to no odor which is something I like a lot! I used Miniwax stain for the top of the table. I wanted to keep the natural wood exposed so I went with a golden oak color (not too orange or dark).


I painted one coat of chalk paint on the base and let it dry (dries quickly). I let it sit for a few hours but you don't need that much time. I used a very light coat of the dark wax over the chalk paint. I apply the wax with a dry brush and then I use an old t-shirt to pull the wax through the piece. If you use a rag-use a tiny bit of wax-it goes a long way. If applied too heavy, the piece will take a long to dry and seal and can feel gunky! 

Annie Sloan suggests using a clear wax first then adding your dark wax-this allows the dark wax to be applied smoothly and prevent soaking into the paint color.

TIP: always apply a coat or two of wax or clear finish over the chalk paint-if you don't the chalk paint will absorb fingerprints, dirt and oils. Never leave chalk paint unfinished or you will be repainting it!

Before the wax was completely dry (2 hours after applying), I used fine grid steel wool to pull the wax through even more to even out the thick spots and give it more of a weathered look. I always sand the edges with  a small piece of sand paper to give it that  chippy look. Always buff the wax with a t-shirt several times until the wax is dry and shines.  (When it's shiny-it's dry)

I used one coat of Miniwax on the top-let it dry over night and applied one coat of the endurance finish over it. You can certainly apply a coat of polyurethane for a glossier finish. The endurance finish is dry within the hour unlike polyurethane which could take as long as a day to dry. I like quick results!


And there you have it, an easy way to makeover a table in 24hours.

This sofa table is extra special to me because my husband made it for me back in 1993 for my birthday the summer we started dating. I have used it in every house we have lived in over the past 20 years. It reminds me of his patience and what a hard worker he is to provide for me. 

Simple Home Living "Southern Style"