9.25.2014

A STORY IN EVERY STITCH


I love old quilts, the kind that are completely made by hand from scraps of fabric and the stitches are imperfect. There's a story in each stitch. When I find a quilt at an antique store, I am immediately drawn to it and of course want to buy it. I have several old quilts I have purchased through the years.


The tiny patches of fabric, some may be from an old apron, dress or shirt, stitched together to tell a story. I love quilts because of the sweet stories a woman or women stitched into the fabric. I also love the physical comfort a quilt brings me. When I wrap up in the soft worn cotton, it's just right-not too heavy and not too light- a balance. Whenever I see a carefully hand stitched quilt I am reminded of the Word of God:


" For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth." Psalm 139:13-15

As women, we need to celebrate who we are, "we are children of God." and in that we need to realize the blessing of being a child of God. I know for me I often walk around with a yoke of burden around my neck and the grumbling begins…

What do I really have to grumble about? I am woven together stitch by stitch by the Creator of the Universe-can't get any better than that! I must realize that God's gentle hand formed every inch of me inside and out and He placed me on this earth. He specifically chose who my earthly parents would be and gave me hand picked siblings. He also placed me in the geographical place and the time of history I would live...

"And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each of us. "
Acts 17:26-27


 He placed a seed of desire in my heart for Him and He writes my story! I can chose to walk the journey with Him and let him write His story for me or I can skip off the path of righteousness and pick up the yoke of burden and drudge through life with no hope at all, trying to write my own story! 

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." Proverbs 19:21

Years ago, I  had a pastor that encouraged me as I transitioned between jobs-I was feeling like I a failure because I couldn't find "the job" that I was supposed to do. He said that God takes all of our experiences and weaves them together to fulfill His will in our lives. I made some bad decisions along the way and worked in jobs that I knew weren't for me but because of those experiences I can look back and see how God wove it all together to bring me back to His purpose for my life. Isn't God great?

Life is like a quilt, stitched so lovingly together by the Creator. Each stitch is made by the One who breathed life into me. Sometimes we need to take a step back and see the beautiful quilt God is making. We need to thank him for the story He is writing- all the good and difficult things. We may not understand why some things happen but it's our trust in Jesus that comforts us. He wraps us up in his strong arms and gives us peace and rest when we are weary. He covers us in his holy redemption and stitches us together with his grace.


What's your story? Do you realize how special you are because you were hand stitched by the Creator of all things? Celebrate life today-lay down that yoke of burden and LIVE!

Keep the SON shining,