9.15.2014

Antique Dresser Makeover


I was given my great grandmother's oak bedroom suite many years ago.  It brings so many childhood memories back to me and I'm honored to have the pieces in my home. Well, the furniture has never been refinished. It was still in it's original state when I got it. So over time, the finish began to peel off and turn orange. It desperately needed some TLC. (It's probably 50 years old)




Annie Sloan http://www.anniesloan.com to the rescue!! I finally decided it was time to get this furniture done. My daughter's room is being made over and she uses the dresser, so what better excuse to get it done than with a room makeover, right?


I don't normally sand wood pieces before I paint with chalk paint but the finish was dirty and peeling and I wanted a smooth surface to work with, so I sanded it all down (and it was still orange)-ugh!!

I used 1/2 chalk paint 1/2 water combination-pouring a small amount in a cup and doing small sections at a time. Brushing in the direction of the wood grain and leaving to dry for just a few seconds then wiping it off with a rag. I wanted a very light white wash look with some of the wood coming through.


Isn't the wood grain gorgeous? ….
It didn't take long for this to dry because not a lot of paint was left on it.


The original knobs were wooden and horrible-very outdated. 
I found these vintage blue knobs 50% off at Hobby Lobby. 
They totally complete the dresser!


I sealed the white wash paint with a clear wax. It was finished in one day.


From this ………. 
(my daughter doesn't look very happy cleaning out her drawers)


To this…….

It really looks great next to the top sail blue walls.

 Her complete bedroom makeover is coming soon!
Stay tuned…


Simple Home Living "Southern Style"