8.31.2014

How To Make a Reclaimed Wood Day Bed


When you have a small garage turned workshop, we are always trying to find ways to use what we have so we can reduce the clutter. As our family has been doing the Less is More Project for the past 20 days, we have all reduced clutter, lighten our loads, slowed down and re-prioritized. We've been storing a lot of project stuff in our garage and we decided it was time to throw it away or use it. So this project build cost us nothing but our time. 

My daughter and I decided on a total room makeover for her bedroom because of the de-cluttering process. When things are neatly stored and clutter is reduced to virtually nothing-our lives seem simplified, less stress more peace! So, the bed was the first thing to plan in the new room design.  She had a queen bed that took up most of her room because of all the windows and doors. I went to my husband with a plan for the bed and he agreed it could be done-we worked together to create the final design.



In the first picture above-we used a pallet bed (center piece) the hubby built several years ago. Since we were not using it in our new house, it had been sitting in a corner of our garage taking up space. We also used a door and boards from a very old farmhouse we tore down almost 20 years ago. The rusted tin came from an old barn on our family's farm. 



The hubby bought me (us) a new miter saw so I could cut boards without trying to handle a circular hand saw that was just too heavy. I'm loving the new saw and what I can build. The hubby taught me that when you measure, " Measure Twice-Cut Once!" 


The hubby helped me with measurements (well really-because I hate math) and together we mapped out the height and width of the bed. He built a frame for each side out of 2x4s that we pulled out of the dumpster and had been sitting in our garage-Yes-you guessed it-taking up space!


The boards were attached on the frame with wood glue and a nail gun. We only had one piece of tin so it was cut into two parts-one for each side- the hubby did the cutting for me. I attached the tin to the bottom of each side then added the old wood at the top.



I sanded the back sides because these would show and I wanted to knock off the splintery hairs. Sanding always gives a project a very finished look.


This is what the inside looks like after the sanding. I love the that the tin was rusted on one side and in great condition on the other.  I wanted both sides to visually look appealing and complete. This bed was made to last a long time and I wanted it to appeal to the eye on every level. 


Assembly was a "BEAR"-this was the hardest part. We put it together in the garage to make sure it was structurally sound and then we took it apart to get it into my daughter's room. Then the hubby reassembled it. Lots of heavy lifting and hauling but we got it done. 


We attached the back with T braces that we found in the garage-again we used what we had!



The sides were built and then attached to the pallet bed. The door was added last.




All done-just add a twin mattress and it's ready for her bedroom. I think she likes it! 
It looks lopsided in this picture but it's not-only looks like it because our driveway slopes slightly. 



The sides are my favorite. My husband cut a small strip of old pine to fit the front of the bed to hide the rough edges. I really like how it completed the bed. The arms were topped off with pallet wood trimmed to about a one inch overhang to give the top a finished look as well.



DONE!  Fresh sheets and her favorite quilt with lots of pillows, screams one happy girl. Now on to Phase II of the room makeover-painting the walls.


Simple Home Living "Southern Style"