7.22.2014

Wooden Crate Project & Life Lesson

As an attendee at the Haven Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com so graciously shared wood kits with all of us. I couldn't wait to get home and get in my workshop to put it together.  My little assistant, Kennedy, helped with the project-and as always a life lesson was to be learned.

Do you look at your life and think, ugh, it's just a wooden crate (my life is boring)? For some reason I have been reflecting on my life purpose. As Kennedy and I went through the motions to assemble the wooden box, I felt the need to just take it all part and totally make something different. But, the kit had specific instructions with pieces already cut to size and everything fit together so nicely to make this exact box. If I had wanted to make something else, things would not have fit together, I probably would have needed more parts that I didn't have and my frustration level would have hit Def Con 1-if you know what I mean!

How does this relate to my life? Well, God has made me with certain talents and gifts and He wants me to use them for His specific purpose for me. Now I am not saying God doesn't want us to be creative-He absolutely does. He doesn't want me to seek out my own purpose and then ask Him to join me. He wants me to follow His plan that He has mapped out for my life. Yes, it's mapped out. Maybe not totally written in the sky and plain as day, but He created me with a specific purpose in mind. He has the Big Picture and it all fits together nicely in His time.

So, what about this wooden crate? We put it together as instructed and completed the project, however, there is room for some creativity! We all have a dash of creativity-God is creative and as His creation we are too!

So, come along and check out our afternoon project:


I love having Kennedy in the workshop with me. She is so eager to learn new things!



Her handy skills definitely come from her Daddy!




Kennedy had never used stain before so I taught her how to use a wipe on stain. We used Minwax Wood Finish in Early American to give the wood a base color. http://www.minwax.com  



We gave it one coat and let it dry over night. I think she did a great job!


Now, it was my turn to add my special touch to the project. As ya'll know, I love chalk paint! I wanted to stain the wood first so the chalk paint would look weathered.  I painted a light coat of Annie Sloan http://www.anniesloan.com Duck Egg Blue to the box. I then waxed it with a clear wax. I added scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby http://www.hobbylobby.com to give the bottom a little pop. I love the coastal blue with the world map paper.



The simple wooden box is now a colorful picnic basket. It is sturdy enough to hold my china plates, mason jars filled with utensils and napkins for everyone.


Be yourself with a little splash of creativity!
 Embrace who you are and live!!

"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
Psalm 139:14

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"