6.22.2014

How to Turn a Junky Closet into a Home Office


We have a double door closet that is the home to our "junky office." Things got thrown in there and the clutter began to climb the walls.  Thank goodness we could shut the doors on this mess! But, I like things to be organized and functional and I knew what was behind those closed doors. Since it's the summer, I wanted to get some extra projects done before school starts back. So, this closet makeover became a priority project. With any project I do, there always seems to be a little life lesson to be learned. Sometimes our lives can become like a cluttered closet and we just want to shut the doors.



If we shut the doors, we don't see the mess and we don't have to deal with the problem. But it's still there. It hasn't magically disappeared or fixed itself. It's still there just hiding behind a door- the door to our hearts. How do you un-clutter your spiritual closet? Do you shut the door and hope the mess will just go away or do you open the doors and face it. As with this project, I opened the doors and peered in. Ugh-what a mess. Look at all the work that has to be done to get this space simplified. But, you know what's great about opening our spiritual closests- God is there. He's there to help you work through all the mess. Some things need to be thrown out-just like past hurts. Some things need to be examined and sorted-is there someone I need to forgive or ask for forgiveness? Some things need to be filed away for reference- just like our life experiences. God can use all of our past experiences for good. It's hard for us to forget some things but God can take those memories and work them for His ultimate plan. God wants us to live a simple life- one that isn't cluttered which distracts us from Him. In my decorating business, I love to help people make sense of their homes. In doing so, they learn to let go and let God. Our homes are a reflection of our lives. When I looked into this messy office closet, I realized that a part of my home is chaotic and part of my life is too. It's been a good reminder for me to sit quietly before the Lord and allow Him to show me the clutter in my life. It's a slow process but it's worth it. When you sit at His feet-you begin to see what's really important and you let things go.


Olympic ONE paint and primer really made the project easy. 
With one coat of filigree blue-the painting was done in no time.


With it being a closet office, I didn't want to spend a lot on furnishings so I used what I already had. I repainted the file cabinet with Annie Sloan chalk paint (old white). 
The blue on the walls gives a clean fresh look. A nice blank slate for the project decor.


The after:
 I used simple decor that cost almost nothing because I shopped my house. 


I found the white metal dish strainer at the thrift store.
 It's great for my active files, bills and mail.


This frame is my favorite. It was a very ugly unicorn painting  framed in this fabulous old rustic wood frame. I found it at a yard sale and just had to have it. I removed the glass and the tacky painting and used a thick piece of cardboard, covering it with batting and burlap to create a pin board.

The fabric circles were another thrift store find. Again ugly fabric was in the sewing hoops-so I removed it and replaced it with much prettier fabric. 
It gives the space a little pop of color. 

It's fun to create a space by using what you have and finding things you can repurpose. 

What are you going to be de-cluttering this summer? Whether it's a room in your home or in your heart-listen to God's still quiet voice and let the project begin!

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"