6.05.2014

How to Make a Bench Using Chairs


Do you have extra chairs and don't have a clue what to do with them?
 Well, here's a quick solution- make a bench!

I have two extra dining chairs that I don't keep at the table-I bring them out only when we have guests and need the extra place settings. The chairs were stashed up against a wall-looking like my mom's formal dining room with chairs all around the room. Not really liking them hanging around, I came up with a super cheap solution- bench seating.


My workshop is full of things I find at thrift stores in hopes to use them along the way. I bought this brand new crib foam pad in its original plastic for $2.99. It's been stored for a year now, finally I found a use for it! I also have tons of fabric pieces and especially burlap running out of my ears-so no cost there.


I measured the chairs for width and length- unbelievably the crib pad was the exact length-I just had to cut for the correct width. I used a utility knife and pulled the plastic covering off to expose the foam.


I cut the burlap to fit the foam and covered it completely. I didn't sew this cover-you certainly can. I took the easy way out and hot glued it along the seams-I placed a stack of magazines on the seams to allow for extra hold while drying.


After it dried, I flipped it over and ironed out the wrinkles.


It's a simple way to make the chairs a bench without constructively joining them together. The chairs stand alone and the cushion lays on top. It's great because the cushion can come off when I need the chairs. 

Another idea would be to buy a bench cushion that's the right size
 if you don't want to make one.  This one cost me $3.

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"