6.20.2014

"Be Your Own Kind Of Beautiful"




I like to go to our local Dollar Tree and browse around and have creative moments. I usually do this when I don't have the kids with me and I'm not in a hurry. I walk the aisles looking at everything and hoping something will jump out at me and say, "make something with me." Well, today I found this adorable little self adhesive wall quote, so thus a little project and life lesson unfolded.

I had this cute "ugly mirror" that I found at a yard sale for $2 and a $1 self adhesive wall quote. I thought to myself, this will be a super easy project. I painted the frame, cleaned the mirror and added the quote. But.... as I stood back and looked at the finished project - a quiet whisper came to me.  Do you have those moments when God is right there and all of a sudden He speaks to you with just a simple word or phrase. 

Well, the God lesson is simple, " Be your own kind of beautiful!"

This project is special because it's for my daughters. My daughters are 16 and 11. You can say that we are in the teen years and with girls- there is never lacking for emotional drama. My girls are well grounded young ladies only by the grace of God. I am so blessed that they both are confident in the Lord. With girls, self image can be a crazy pressure that no one should have to deal with at any age.  But ladies, come on-we all deal with it, don't we? (even as adults). As my girls are still very impressionable we encourage them to be what God made them to be =beautiful girls on the inside first and then God's beauty shines on the outside. 

I'm often reminded of the fragile state of women and our self confidence. It fringes on the edge of being prideful because "self"is right in the middle of it. As we walk humbly with our Maker, he reminds us that yes, each of us is a specifically designed person and there is no one like you! So self can mean the individual God made you to be. On the flip side, self gets in the way of being that beautiful woman God calls us to be.

 I'm not a big fan of "selfies". It screams look at me instead of looking at the One that made me! I know you all have felt the competitive nature to compare yourselves to other women and social media has really taken this message over the top. Don't get me wrong, I love sharing life with other women through social media, but when a selfish desire to be better than others takes over-our sharing life together becomes a crazy downward spiral of self promoting! 

Lately, I have struggled with who I am and trying to find my place in this crazy world especially in the business world. It has really opened my eyes to the fact that God made each one of us so specifically designed that there can be no one like you or me! So, who am I? Who are you? Do you find your confidence in the Lord or do your strive to be like others? When we mimic others and their special talents we get frustrated because it just doesn't work. I've had to step back and reflect on who God is calling me to be and live that out daily! Sometimes looking to the right or to the left can throw us off balance and we stumble but when we look straight ahead to the One that calls us-our path makes sense. 

When I saw this quote at the Dollar Tree-it jumped right in my shopping cart and into my heart. I immediately thought of my daughters. They are "being their own kind of beautiful" and that blesses my soul. Of course, there are the normal struggles of being a girl but when your heart is attached to God's- you can only do one thing- "Be Your Own Kind Of Beautiful." Isn't that what God calls each one of us to be? Yes, especially women, because he made us to be delicate, beautiful creatures that compliment and complete man. We were not an after thought but the icing on the cake-we completed His creation. I don't know about you that makes me feel super special! 

Stasi Eldredge, author of Becoming Myself, writes it so beautifully,

" You see, I want life. I want joy. I want beauty and connection and meaning and the freedom to become the full expression of who God created me to be.... the truth is, I cannot see Jesus fully and clearly until I am myself full and clear!"

Ladies, I pray for you to find your own kind of beautiful, that you will look to Him for your purpose and, sisters, run after it! Don't tarry-go after Him and with Him you can be your own kind of beautiful!

Keep the SON shining,