5.16.2014

What To Do With Goodwill Frames


I want to show you what you can do with picture frames you find at Goodwill. Our Goodwill always has a large amount of frames, I think its because people don't know what to do with them. You have to look past the ugly and see the simple beauty you can create. If you don't have a lot of money to decorate-go to Goodwill and buy some frames. I get frames for .50 to $7.00. My rule is not to buy any frames over $7.00. Frames are an easy and cheap way to fill a space, decorate a bookcase or even style an office. Remember, anything can be framed and frames can be painted!!



Cork board

Ideas you can make with Goodwill frames:
* chalkboard
* cork board
* Dry erase board
* Dining place cards
* trays
* table tops
* wreaths
* attach frames to the top of a wooden box-to make a decorative box
* attach to a large piece of fabric covered canvas for super cute wall art
* use the frame only- you can make a collage of empty frames painted in fun colors




Framed Post Card

Ideas you can frame:
* artwork
* scrapbook paper
* a favorite menu
* an invitation
* pictures (of course)
* make photo copies of your favorite photos and frame as black and white (cheap and easy)
* print letters with a cute font from your computer and frame for your front door
* kids artwork
* fabric
* game boards (you would need a larger frame)
* holiday cards for cheap decorations
* post cards or special love letters
* recipes


Place card or House Name

*************
HERE IS A SIMPLE HOW TO WITH A GOODWILL FRAME

I wanted house numbers for our porch but didn't want the numbers put just anywhere, so I created a cute framed number for our home.



I got this frame for .99.  and the house number for .49. I like wooden frames, not plastic. I look for frames that have good lines and flat backsides (the ones without a leg- better for hanging on the wall)


I took the glass out and painted it with some leftover paint.


I used the glass to trace the size burlap I needed to cover the glass.


I used spray adhesive to attach the burlap to the glass. I left the burlap side up not the glass side- I wanted the burlap texture to be on top.



I have a thing about the back of a frame. After I attached the burlap to the glass and replaced it back into the frame, I taped it in tightly with brown backing paper and spray adhesive. 


I hot glued the number to the middle of the frame. It didn't take long at all to complete this simple project. When looking for frames, have an idea of what kind of project you will be doing, this will help you decide on shape and size. Frames have different depths-those with deeper sides make great trays, and those larger frames with layered sides look great as table tops. For chalkboards, paint right over the glass with chalkboard paint and paint your frame a fun color. Think outside of the box- you can create anything!


I hope these simple tips will you help you get on your way to styling your home on a shoestring budget. If you don't shop at Goodwill, today is a great time to start. Many wonderful treasures can be found there and it doesn't have to cost you a fortune to decorate your home.

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"