4.21.2014

How To Bring Life to Your Coffee Table


A Bowl Of Memories

Several months ago, I refinished a beautiful oak coffee table and placed it in front of our family sofa. It sat empty for days. I just couldn't decide what to put on it. I tried different things like a bowl of crayons and paper for coloring, a stack of magazines, some old books, and even a tray that held the remotes. It just wasn't coming alive like I wanted it to. I asked myself, "what will bring this table to life?" This past weekend the girls and I were looking at some old photos-we pulled out boxes of pictures and laughed together. As I was putting them back, I realized that these pictures stay trapped inside an old trunk in a box and never get looked at but maybe once a year. BINGO! This is the life I needed for my coffee table. I don't scrapbook and I don't have a lot of pictures framed sitting around my house but we love pictures and we love our family! In the South, family is a BIG deal just like BIG hair! Our family lives eight hours away and we miss them lots. So what better way to reconnect and share memories than a "bowl of memories." The kids love it! I selected random pictures from years ago to the present and tossed them in an old cracked antique bowl I bought at a yard sale for 25 cents. It's decorative and simple and yet full of life, life memories! Last night, I looked over at my husband as he sat in his chair.  He had the bowl in his lap as he looked through the pictures-the years of our little life together. He had a smile on his face and I knew this is just what we needed in our family room. It's a reminder of life, love, lots  of laughter and wonderful memories.

I encourage you to make a "bowl of memories" for your family and see what joy it will bring to your home!

Simple Home Decorating "Southern Style"

Wendy