2.07.2014

Latest Project-It is Finished!


I met a really nice military wife (a nurse) when she purchased some painted furniture from me. She asked me if I would custom paint this huge 7 foot bookcase. Of course I can! Well, you talk about the heaviest piece of furniture we have ever moved-well this was it. There is no known history of this bookcase but after a closer look-it was probably used in a department store. It's so tall and very sturdy, something that would be used for a display in a store. It had vintage wall paper on the back panel and down the side panels. What to do?? No way am I going to strip all of that off-so I sanded it down-making it super smooth and Annie Sloan did the rest! It took me two weeks  to finally finish it. I used Annie Sloan "old white" chalk paint over the entire bookcase. The top molding and shelves were done in Old Masters gel stain. Now gel stain is hard to work with because there is a long process to it especially when the weather has been cold. It took at least a week for the shelves to be painted and dried on both sides. I even brought them inside the house at room temperature to help them dry. I am pleased with the finished product and so glad my friend will be able to use this in her new home. She and her husband will be moving in March to Cape Maine , New Jersey. He serves in the Coast Guard. It makes me happy that something I painted will be making it's home in a new home up north.  I like being able to help people finish projects and pull their houses together. A house with finished projects means more time for family and this family is expecting a sweet new baby in March- so no time for projects. I am thankful to them for their business and their service to our country! It was great working with you.
This was day #1 of the project-assessing it and cleaning it up.
 The prep work is what makes it all come together in the end.
Sanded some rough spots down on the bottom.

First coat of Annie Sloan

I had to sand the shelves so the gel stain would stick to it.
Several coats were applied to get it dark enough
 to match an already existing piece.
The end results... Two coats of Annie Sloan chalk paint-
two coats of clear wax and two coats of gel
 stain on the shelves.
It is finally done!
Extend Grace,
Wendy