11.26.2013

The Kneeling Santa


" so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:10-11

Many, many years ago when I was a little girl only 12 years old, someone very close to me died. His name was Matthew. He was my first cousin and only 6 years old. He died suddenly with spinal meningitis. My aunt and uncle were clearly devastated as was the rest of our family and friends. My aunt was an art teacher at a local high school so she appreciated many beautiful things. I remember one Christmas after Matthew's death, her students gave her the most beautiful gift- a kneeling Santa. She treasured this gift in many ways but especially because it reminded her of our Savior. My aunt was an amazing Christian woman. The figurine she received was much larger than this one but it was the first time I had ever seen Santa and Jesus together at Christmas for one purpose. The devil would certainly want us to be distracted from the real meaning of the season but this small example brings it all into perspective. Through the years I searched for a Kneeling Santa but it was something I just didn't see in stores.  About two years ago I found this one and a storybook to go with it. I love this symbol of why we need a Savior and our place before the throne is on our knees! Even though our family does not participate in the fun Santa story at Christmas, we do acknowledge a wonderful Christian servant named Saint Nicholas. He being a servant kneeling before a baby that would one day become Savior of the world grabs my heart every time I look at this small stature. Jesus became a servant before he became our Savior. A lesson in humility for me is always welcome and needed. Let us all bow on our knees and acknowledge Jesus as Savior. Be reminded that our place is on our knees and Jesus is the one on the holy throne. As you celebrate this Christmas season reflect on what it means to be a servant. Like Saint Nicholas, he served secretly as not to gain glory but to give the glory where it belonged -to God. Serve faithfully everyday not just at Christmas and give all the glory to the one who so rightly deserves it, Jesus Christ!


Keep the SON shining,

Wendy