11.12.2013

Fall Picking (Junking)

Well, apparently it's fall everywhere but Richmond Hill, GA. Our leaves really haven't started changing yet. The weather is wonderful and sunny around 60's-70's each day. That's the thing about living in the south, we don't have a distinctive change of seasons, something I miss from my time raised in Virginia. But, who's complaining-not me! I love the sunshine and the warm afternoons. As for getting into the holiday spirit, the weather does play a significant role in feeling festive. So, I'm struggling a bit to get the Christmas decorations down and just looking to see what I will decorate with this year. But this blog isn't about decorating for Christmas. I thought I would at least pay some homage to the fall season. So I'll share my "fall picking" or what I really was doing- junking!

My daughter and I spent the weekend in Macon, GA which is 3 hours North of Savannah. Definitely a change in seasons there. It was beautiful-trees an array of bold colors and leaves falling down around you. It was sunny but crisp and a great weekend for junking. I didn't find as much as I would have liked to but hey even one small treasure is worth the trip.

She and I visited some wonderful little stores along the way so I've posted some pictures of those stores. I love meeting the people behind the vision and who also share in the joy of junking. I think maybe we fellow junkers are a breed of our own! I didn't take many pictures of what I bought because I have already put them in our booth space to be sold. But I hope you enjoy the weekend junking photos.


Henry's in Bolingbroke-it's the sweetest little country town.
 One of our favorite places when we lived in Macon, GA.






Henry's carried the Annie Sloan chalk paint-
so I stocked up while I was there.






The beautiful fall day in Bolingbroke.


Another fun little shop in Bolingbroke.








Loving all of the Christmas decorations.



One of the coolest places in Forsyth, GA. It's a warehouse full of retired hotel furniture at discounted prices. I can always find a deal there - a piece to repurpose. I bought a metal luggage rack that I will paint and rebind.

Anyone need a lamp??

This is a great place to buy furniture for
 that first apartment or college
 dorm  or even a vacation home.


The warehouse used to be a fabric mill.
It still has it's original paint in some places.
This looks like a duck egg blue to me!

Great chair-not a good price-
had to leave it!


This was a new restaurant in Forsyth
that will be called "the Anvil Room".
 It was the old blacksmith shop in town.
The owners gave me a tour.
It will be opening soon
-still under construction.

Old tools they found when they
started the reconstruction.

Another great store in Forsyth. High Cotton is the perfect name for this store. It was their Christmas open house and boy was it fancy. A piano player, catered food, and gorgeous decor!


Kennedy was thrilled that they had a
Leonardo Da Vinci piece in the store!
He's the subject of her history project
 and science fair inventor this year.

Love the old windows displayed across the wall!

 What I did find along the way was quite interesting. You never know what a good pick will bring. I bought two adorable vintage theater folding chairs. They even have the old tags and original fabric covered seats. I found a great rustic wood lamp that had been painted white. Some of the other items we found were baskets, candle holders, wooden boxes, and silver trays. All of this have been placed in my booth space at Treasures. And yes they are treasures not "junk". Happy Fall Picking or should I say Junking!