11.26.2013

A Country Christmas

It's finished! Our home is completely decorated for Christmas (well, the outside is not quite finished-but that's another blog day). This is super early for us but with Thanksgiving being a few days later than usual and wanting to get it on the blog-we had to succumb to an early start. It has been fun but overwhelming at times. I think I was putting too much pressure on myself because of wanting to share it with you all and feeling everything had to be perfect. But my decorating motto is simple design for simple living. So it's simply decorated to add just enough Christmas spirit and cheer that our home invites others in for some hot chocolate. So grab a mug of that hot frothy stuff and take a stroll through our home. Merry Christmas!!

The reason we celebrate the season!
It's the BIGGEST birthday party in the world!

My chalkboard was an old mirror I found at the thrift 
store for $5. I cleaned the mirror and painted chalkboard
 paint right over the mirror. I then painted the frame
 with Annie Sloan duck egg blue chalk paint. 

Our Advent area- a candle will be lit each
 Sunday in December prior to Christmas.



The children (and myself) have tons of Christmas 
children's books. I put them all in 
a basket so everyone can grab a book 
or two for reading throughout the season. 
It's like unwrapping a gift when we pull 
out all of the books we haven't seen in a year.


Mercury glass is my absolute favorite!! I love the
old metallic look. My kids call me "Dory" from
Finding Nemo because I like shiny things!


I made the plaid garland from a set of
 blank not cards I purchased at
Michael's for a $1.I hot glued them onto
 twine and it adds a little color to the
natural motif in the windows.


It's our tradition to put out all
of the Nutcrackers. My girls get so excited 

when we pull them out of the box with 
each having a special story.


Fresh and natural greenery from our woods.
On this particular trip, my youngest ran up on
a small Diamondback Rattlesnake that was so
 hidden in the leaves she almost got bitten.


Welcome to our home!

Simple fresh greens and "fake"
 berries from the Dollar Tree store-
can't tell it's not real, can you?


I have bought fresh natural looking
wreaths for years. I have to give it to
 Lowe's, these wreaths have lasted and made
it through several house moves.


This is an extra special tradition we started this year. Ann Voskamp has written a new book (daily devotion) for the Christmas season, "The Greatest Gift"-Unwrapping the full love story of Christmas. She takes us back to the beginning with a look at Jesus' genealogy. It deeply explains not just the birth of Christ but the importance of His birth. It's called a Jesse Tree or Advent Tree. It's a great celebration of Jesus' heritage through the scriptures starting in Genesis. We are working on adding a scripture verse for each day during December to put on the tree and reading the daily devotion . Check out her website at www.annvoskamp.com

This was my fun purchase this year.
Yes it's a buckshot, empty of course.
 I found these little beauties at
 a yard sale during the summer.
I just couldn't resist putting
 them on the tree.

 
I love the nature inside but also the nature
 I see outside. We are wrapped in trees and
 God's beauty while our home is tucked back in the woods.



Adding a little homage to our childhood-
these are me and Mel's childhood stockings.

 Wonder if Santa will fill them up this year? 
I look at them and remember back to that

child like excitement that Christmas

 brought each year.


It's our cozy little home!

I think everyone likes to sit in their cozy den with the Christmas tree lights on and rest or read a good book or simply sit quietly. There is something about the lights on a tree that brings peace to a home. It represents a quiet stillness before God.

It reminds me to stop and reflect on our Savior! I think the tree is the most important decoration at Christmas besides the nativity. Everyone's tree is different and holds so many stories special to their family. Family is about God too. He created people and He created groups of people for a reason. It's the love a family brings to one another that is rooted in Christ's birth.


I hope you enjoyed the Christmas Home Tour. I will be posting more Christmas decorating tips throughout the coming weeks. A little word of advice-don't over think it-keep it simple and meaningful! Remember the reason for the season is to slow down and reflect on our Savior! Blessings to you and your family!


Wendy