10.02.2013

Southampton County Family Reunion

Recently my family and I headed up north to Virginia for the weekend to visit our family. My husband and I were both raised in the same county only 10 miles apart but never met until we were in the 10th grade of high school. So our stomping grounds overlap one another-in other words-all of our family lives in the same area. While in Virginia, we attended a family reunion for my husband's side of the family. It's called "Mammy Day".  It was an annual reunion held for years but we had not had one in probably 10 years so this Mammy Day was special. Lots of new faces and missing some of the older ones who had already passed on. Mammy  had 12 kids and 37 grandkids. Mammy lived to be 102 years young.  So in honor of her, the family has a Mammy Day to reunite the huge family.It was probably a hundred people at this reunion. It was so much fun seeing some familiar faces and some not so familiar. Reconnecting is what makes family important and what better way to reconnect than around a table spread with food! Food and family always brings laughter and smiles! We even got to hear some great stories about Mammy shared by some of her grandchildren. I never met her but Mel's grandma, Lola was one of Mammy's children. Grandma Lola was an amazing Christian woman and from what I heard at the reunion so was Mammy. What a great legacy to pass down to your kids and grandkids. It's not the physical wealth that you pass down but the spiritual wealth that  is absolutely priceless!

I wanted to share some of the pictures I took that day-you will see the simplicity of life as you browse the pictures. Simply living! Simply loving!


This is how our family rolls-reunion at a hunt club!

Heading down a dirt road to get to the hunt club.


"I don't think I can eat anything else!"

Great decor-I actually love the blue and
 the deer heads made it perfect!

Sister-in-law and mother-in-law hanging out!

The food table after everyone had eaten
-some dishes are wiped out!

Looking at old pictures from past reunions.

We realized my father-in-law had the same shirt on he had worn to
 a previous Mammy Day many years ago-time for a new shirt, Papa!

September in Virginia
Mel's brother and wife and their two girls on the left,
 Mel's parents in the middle and me and Mel and our girls on the right.


The Black Water River and the water is black.

Chilling at the reunion

Simple decorations but beautiful

Cousins

Mammy's grandkids-only 19 of the 37
and one of her children are pictured.